Thursday, February 21, 2013
When I was growing up we had Italian food every Wednesday night. It was
something I looked forward to a lot. I'am a self proclaimed carb addict. The more I
try to stay away from the starchy goodness - the more I want.
This lasagna is by far the best I have ever had. You're going to have in love.
Like - Love at first bite
1 pound ground beef
1 pound sweet Italian sausage. ( Casings removed )
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz ) can crushed tomatoes
1 ( 15 oz ) can tomato sauce
2 can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 oz whipped cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 slices provolone
3/4 cup Mozzarella - shredded
3/4 cup parmesan
1) In a Dutch oven cook sausage, beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until
browned. Stir in tomatoes, paste, sauce and water. Season with sugar, dried basil,
Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds and 2 teaspoons
2) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna for about 10 minutes.
Drain noodles and rinse with cold water.
3) In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, egg, and remaining parsley & salt.
4) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5) To assemble, spread 2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan.
Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread one half of the cream
cheese mixture. Top with a provolone slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over
mozzarella and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Repeat layers and top with -
remaining cheese. Cover loosely with foil . Make sure foil doesn't touch cheese.
6) Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another
25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
Serve with garlic bread and salad.